For many aspiring Ninjas, training at a dojo during a lockdown was non-existent! Schools were closed, and too many of us were forced to shelter in instead of being able to enjoy and learn new techniques from our teachers.
But, let’s turn the story around, and what can we do for training during these crazy times? Well then let me give you 5 skills you can work on developing during these strange days!
- Emergency fire starting. Find a location that you can safely start a small fire utilizing various methods. Matches, lighter, magnesium rod, bow drill, etc. Try them all! Learn the use of various fire-starting materials, ways of keeping a fire going during various weather situations, use of a Dakota hole, rocket stove etc. Always fun to have the ability to light a fire and enjoy the warmth!
- Orienteering! Ever been lost and have no idea on how to use that map you brought? Well proper land navigation skills is a must for a ninja. Get a map of a local area and navigate to various locations by using your compass and land navigation skills. Here is a great link to ITSTactical land navigation starter! https://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/navigation/the-complete-guide-to-land-navigation-with-the-military-grid-reference-system/
- Improvised weapon construction. So, what can you make with simple items found nearly anywhere in the world? Look to make something you can use to protect yourself in a non-permissive environment. Expand your thought process, think flexible, projectile, edged, flammable, etc. You never know when you may need this critical skill set.
- First aide skills. Break out your old first aid guides and review what to do when you or your loved one has an injury. Don’t forget to brush up on your CPR and triage skills. Another angle on this could also include natural and herbal remedies if you are far from or cannot get to a medical facility.
- Water purification. Without water you will die. Clean drinking water is a precious thing and learning multiple methods to make a remote source of water drinkable is a life saving skill. Learn how to boil, chemically treat and or filter water to make it safe for you and your loved ones, you will be glad you learn and master this skill!
Alright, so you have 5 things to be practicing and strengthening your knowledge on, so what are you waiting on get to learning!